Miramax is a leading international film company with a library of more than 700 motion pictures. Miramax sells directly as well as licenses its titles worldwide through partnerships and digital alliances. Collectively, the Miramax library has received 284 Academy Award nominations and 68 Oscars, including four Best Picture Awards.
The Senior Counsel, Business and Legal Affairs, will work closely with senior business development, digital, sales, and finance executives to structure, negotiate and draft license agreements for Miramax film and television content licensed to television and digital platforms in the United States and throughout the world.
· Draft, review, negotiate and interpret license and other agreements relating to the acquisition or distribution of film and television content.
· Manage multiple deals effectively in a fast-paced environment to ensure the accurate completion and timely execution of license agreements.
· Provide thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues, and propose practical, responsive solutions.
· Assist in the creation and updating of license agreement forms for television (free, pay, basic cable) and digital (SVOD, AVOD, EST) platforms.
· Supervise outside counsel representing the company.
Handle other projects at the direction of the SVP, Head of Business and Legal Affairs.
- Ensure that all company policies and procedures are followed in the licensing of television and film content.
- Exercise sound judgment in negotiating key business and legal terms.
- Identify and take all necessary steps to protect the company from business and legal risks associated with the licensing and/or acquisition of film and television content.
· Outstanding academic credentials (excellent academic record at top tier law school) required.
· Minimum 5-10 years of experience practicing law, with at least 3 years of experience in the film and/or television business required.
· Experience licensing film and/or television content to both digital platforms (e.g., hulu, Netflix, LOVEFilm) and television networks (free, pay, basic cable) located in the United States and abroad required.
· Major studio and/or major law firm experience required.
· California bar membership required.
· Law school and undergraduate transcripts and a writing sample required.
· Outstanding analytic, communication, organizational, negotiation and legal drafting skills.
· Sound business judgment and ability to manage multiple matters and conflicting client needs.
· Ability to identify and resolve legal issues quickly and communicate effectively to all levels of the organization.
· Deep knowledge of entertainment industry distribution and acquisition.
· Assertive, detail-oriented, and able to accommodate tight deadlines while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work flexible or long hours if and when necessary.
To apply: Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and indicate on the subject line “Senior Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs.”