Director - Digital Product Development
The Director of Digital Product Development for PBS Education is responsible for managing the portfolio of curriculum, professional development and new digital services designed to address the needs of the PreK-College and teacher professional development audience. The services will be delivered primarily through web-based and/or mobile devices in partnership with local public television stations across the country.
The Director of Digital Product Development is responsible for the strategic planning and day-to-day management, production and internal support of PBS Education digital products. The products include PBS LearningMedia, a PreK-12 digital content platform; PBS Teacherline, a professional development service, as well as PBS Teachers and new products as determined.
The Director of Digital Product Development works collaboratively with technology, product and design/user experience staff in developing and enhancing the digital products. The Director manages and supports the ongoing operation and delivery of the digital services. Specifically, the Director of Product Development’s responsibilities include the creation and implementation of the product roadmap, development of product requirements, project management of the production schedule and other responsibilities to ensure on-time delivery and support for stations implementing PBS Education services. The Director of Product Development works collaboratively with internal stakeholders to ensure that services are aligned with strategic goals, utilize shared processes across PBS, support station needs and deliver on financial efficiencies.
The Director of Digital Product Development will report and work under the day-to-day direction of the VP, Education.
- Work in partnership with the VP of Education on the development of an annual product roadmap, in support of the product strategy and reflective of the goals, objectives and core milestones.
- Keep up-to-date on education technology topics, conduct market research and present findings/data.
- Develop the core product requirements and user stories in support of the product roadmap that defines the user interface, features, functionality and tool components of PBS Education services.
- Work collaboratively with user experience, design and development teams to execute on the product roadmap and requirements. Ensure that the requirements are delivered to specification.
- Oversee the product testing and QA process, to include usability testing and ongoing quantitative and qualitative inputs from the target market (school administrators, library media specialists, teachers, students and parents). Implement results of product testing and QA into product.
- Serve as the product lead for tools in support of the core PBS Education services (e.g. Curriculum Coverage Tool)
- Work collaboratively with the PBS Education content team on the integration of content into the digital services and ensure that the content contribution tools are operational according to specification.
- Work collaboratively with the PBS Education technology team to ensure that product specifications are delivered as planned.
- Work with internal stakeholders on the technical specifications and integration of content and processes into the digital services workflow, as needed.
- Work with the PBS Education Station Relations team on the support of local station implementations of PBS Education services and in the customization of the service to the extent supported. Participate in meetings and calls with stations to define service needs.
- Develop station service implementation documentation for approval. Implement station service requirements, as needed.
- Manage other product responsibilities, as needed.
- Conduct PBS system-wide and conference presentations on PBS Education services, as needed.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 4-7 years working in producing online and/or digital web services
- Experience in creating web sites, services and/or mobile applications for PreK-12 classrooms or formal education audiences
- 3-5 years experience project managing web-based initiatives
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment
- Experience working with external partners and/or organizations
- Experience developing product requirements and working in partnership with technology on technical implementation utilizing the Agile development process
- Demonstrated experience concepting and creating new digital products
MINIMUM EDUCATION/TRAINING REQUIRED:
- Bachelors degree in Liberal Arts, Education or Computer Science related field of study
- Experience in English, Journalism or a writing field
- Experience in and knowledge of the PreK-12 education field
- Basic knowledge of technical operation of web and/or digital delivered products
- Experience writing basic web development code preferred
- Teaching experience preferred
- Online publishing skills, including content creation, HTML scripting, multimedia publishing, content organization and layout
- Strong utilization and understanding of the Web
- Strong background in writing and editing
- Strong awareness of the organizations and resources available to educators
- Superior organizational skills and attention to details
- Resourceful, self-directed and skillful team player
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills and the ability and flexibility to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Tactfulness when responding to questions and concerns
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D