Lin-Manuel Miranda and Family; NBC Entertainment Receive Special Recognition
BEVERLY HILLS, CA (August 18, 2017) – Winners of the 32nd Annual Imagen (Spanish for “image”) Awards, the only premier Latino entertainment awards program dedicated to honoring the positive portrayal and creative excellence of Latinos and Latino cultures on screen, were announced Friday night at a star-studded special ceremony held in the Beverly Wilshire in Beverly Hills. The awards, with returning host comedian and actress Aida Rodriguez, were presented to an audience of over six hundred attendees representing the entertainment industry and Latino community.
The Imagen Foundation honored the Miranda family including Lin-Manuel Miranda, Dr. Luz Towns-Miranda, Luis A. Miranda, Jr., and Luz Miranda-Crespo with the Imagen President’s Award for their humanitarian and artistic contributions. It also recognized NBC Entertainment with the Vision Award for providing opportunities for Latino advancement in the entertainment industry, both in front and behind the camera. Among celebrities in attendance were Rita Moreno, America Ferrera, Gina Torres, Kenny Ortega, Lisa Vidal, Lou Diamond Phillips, Justina Machado, Joaquim de Almeida, Monica Raymund, Gabriel Chavarria and many other Latino performers. They were joined by legendary TV Producer and Imagen Founder Norman Lear and Jennifer Salke of NBC Entertainment President accepting on behalf of NBC Entertainment.
“For more than 32 years, the Imagen Foundation has been at the forefront of championing and celebrating inclusion and diversity in the entertainment industry,” said Helen Hernandez, President and Founder of the Imagen Foundation which presents the Imagen Awards. “It has been an honor to recognize the amazing Latino talent in front and behind the cameras, as well as those who tirelessly work behind the scenes on behalf of all Latinos.”
Imagen Awards 2017 winners were judged and selected in seventeen categories by an independent panel of entertainment industry executives and Latino community leaders.
The complete list of 2017 Imagen Awards winners in their respective categories follows:
- How to be a Latin Lover (3Pas Studios)
- Miguel Arteta, Beatriz at Dinner (Roadside Attractions)
Best Actor – Feature Film
- Diego Luna, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Lucasfilm, Walt Disney Studios)
Best Actress – Feature Film
- Salma Hayek, How to be a Latin Lover (3Pas Studios)
Best Primetime Television Program – Drama
- Queen of the South (USA Network; Fox Television and Universal Cable Productions)
Best Primetime Television Program – Comedy
- One Day at a Time (Netflix; Sony Pictures Television for Netflix)
Best Primetime Program: Specials, Movies, & Mini-Series
- American Crime (ABC; ABC Studios)
Best Actor – Television
- Guillermo Diaz, Scandal (ABC; Shondaland and ABC Studios for ABC)
Best Actress – Television
- Justina Machado, One Day at a Time (Netflix; Sony Pictures Television for Netflix)
Best Supporting Actor – Television
- Peter Gadiot, Queen of The South (USA Network; Fox Television and Universal Cable Productions)
Best Supporting Actress – Television
- Isabella Gomez, One Day at a Time (Netflix; Sony Pictures Television for Netflix)
Best Young Actor – Television
- Marcel Ruiz, One Day at a Time (Netflix; Sony Pictures Television for Netflix)
Best Variety or Reality Show
- Fluffy Breaks Even (Fuse TV; Arsonhouse Entertainment, B-17 Entertainment, Fluffy Shop Studios)
Best Children’s Programming
- Elena of Avalor (Disney Junior; Disney Television Animation)
- ESPN Features: SC Reportajes “The Heights” (ESPN Deportes (US)/ESPN Dos (Mexico); ESPN)
Best Informational Program
- Gaycation with Ellen Page (Viceland; Vice Media, LLC)
Best On-Air Advertising
- Acura MDX: “Family Home” (Orcí; Caviar)
Event sponsors included Norman Lear Foundation, Nielsen, NBCUniversal, Microsoft, The Walt Disney Studios, Variety, PBS SoCaL, The Coca-Cola Company, CBS, Campanario Entertainment, Disney Channel, Cal State LA, Paramount Pictures, AIDS Healthcare, El Proyecto del Barrio and The Hollywood Reporter.
About The Imagen Awards
The Imagen (pronounced ee-mah-hen) Awards program was established in 1985 from a suggestion by veteran television producer Norman Lear to encourage and recognize the positive portrayals of Latinos in the media. Later, as The Imagen Foundation, it expanded its programs and initiatives to further its mission to serve as a bridge between the Latino community and the entertainment industry in providing access, education, and resources for Latinos in the industry, as well as those seeking careers in entertainment. More information on the organization as well as details of the event can be found online at www.imagen.org and its social media channels: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.