Founded in 1912, Paramount Pictures works with the entertainment industry’s biggest filmmakers and brightest stars to produce and distribute entertainment around the world. The iconic Paramount logo has opened some of the most successful and beloved films in cinematic history, including timeless classics such as Sunset Boulevard, The Godfather, Forrest Gump and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off; and blockbuster franchises such as Star Trek, Transformers, and Mission: Impossible. Recent innovative break-out films such as A Quiet Place and Rocketman have further elevated Paramount’s film legacy. On the small screen, Paramount Television Studios’ Defending Jacob, 13 Reasons Why, The Haunting of Bly Manor, The Alienist: Angel of Darkness, Made for Love and Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan have also been thrilling audiences. With a beautiful 65-acre lot in the heart of Hollywood, a worldwide network of offices and a culture of engagement, Paramount’s passionate employees ensure the studio continues to deliver creativity and innovation to a dynamic industry. Paramount is a subsidiary of ViacomCBS, which reaches 700 million global subscribers through MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, BET and other media networks.
This position will be responsible for a wide array of tasks necessary to support the Paramount Television Legal Affairs department. Assignments include negotiating and drafting talent and production related documents, including artist’s certificates, staff writer agreements, location and vendor agreements, producer agreements, etc.
Responsibilities to include, but not limited to:
• Draft and negotiate various rights acquisition and services contracts for individuals and companies involved in all aspects of writing, producing, directing, etc. for Paramount TV pilots and series
• Draft, negotiate, and finalize time-sensitive production-related agreements, including production services agreements, tax incentive related documents, location agreements, aerial/drone agreements, equipment rental agreements, vehicle/watercraft agreements, catering agreements, lease agreements, parking/holding agreements, props agreements, confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements, clip licenses, location releases, and VFX agreements for television productions
• Liaise with and advise Paramount executives and personnel in various departments, along with on-set production personnel, on day-to-day production and other legal matters.
• Analyze complicated chain of title matters to ensure underlying rights are clear, anticipate and account for potential chain of title and rights issues, and conduct extensive rights research to determine motion picture content available for television/digital exploitation
• Communicate with the intellectual property and rights team regarding clearance restrictions, copyright issues and other IP matters
• Advise regarding questions that arise under applicable union/guild collective bargaining agreements and standards and practices of television and digital exhibitors
• Communicate and negotiate with talent representation and various outside vendors in an effective, timely, and professional manner
• Collaborate with the finance and risk management team regarding tax incentives, insurance coverage, and compliance matters
• Supervise and coordinate with outside counsel in multiple countries on production legal matters
• Coordinate insurance and safety related matters with Paramount Risk Management and Production Safety
• Create internal status memos advising various departments of any approval rights, credits, and restrictions to ensure compliance with contractual legal obligations.
• Bachelor’s Degree and JD from an ABA school
• Minimum 4 years motion picture production legal experience at a production company or entertainment law practice (or equivalent experience)
• Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and internet research
• Strong drafting, organizational and time management skills
• Superior oral and written communication skills
• Self-starter with ability to handle multiple, high priority tasks
• Excellent attention to detail
• Entertainment industry experience strongly preferred
• Proficient with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and internet software
• Strong oral and written communication skills; professional business demeanor
• Strong organizational and project coordination skills
• Self-motivated, self-starter attitude and ability to make independent decisions and offer creative solutions
• Demonstrated good judgment and the ability to deal with confidential and sensitive issues
• Ability to use resources and personality to develop strong client relationships
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, prioritize workload efficiently and meet strict deadlines for complete tasks/assignments
• Careful attention to detail and follow-through skills
ViacomCBS is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
At ViacomCBS, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. ViacomCBS is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access. https://www.viacomcbs.com/careers as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling 212.846.5500 or by sending an email to email@example.com. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.
ViacomCBS believes in creating environments that allow our primary focus to remain on providing entertainment, education and information to our millions of viewers around the world. As part of this commitment to health and safety, ViacomCBS requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees, subject to applicable law. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.