Twentieth Century Fox
Overview Of The Company
20th Century Fox Television
Twentieth Century Fox Television is one of the industry’s most prolific suppliers of primetime television programming and entertainment content, including the No 1. Series on all of broadcast, NBC’s THIS IS US; Fox’s No. 1 drama, 9-1-1 and No. 1 comedy LAST MAN STANDING, ABC’s five-time Emmy Award-winner MODERN FAMILY, FX’s No. 1 series AMERICAN HORROR STORY; and the longest-running primetime scripted series in the history of television, THE SIMPSONS, in addition to dozens of others. The studio’s cable production division, Fox 21 Television Studios, is responsible for acclaimed and award-winning series including AMERICAN CRIME STORY, HOMELAND, THE AMERICANS, SONS OF ANARCHY, GENIUS and POSE. The studio’s content now reaches more than a billion people every day across the world; in as many as 180 countries, across six continents, in 30 different languages.
Vice President of Drama Development
This is an exciting opportunity for a forward-thinking and inspired creative executive with significant experience in the development of film or television programs, to become a key contributor to the Fox programming and development team.
The Vice President of Drama Development will have a direct impact on the formulation of an aggressive, forward-looking program strategy for 20th Television across the drama genre.
The Vice President of Drama Development will be responsible for contributing to the creative strategy. The finalist will develop new scripted content, from concept to series, as well as manage all aspects of production for new and returning shows. This individual will be integral to the overall creative activities related to the tracking, soliciting, procurement, evaluation, development, and oversight of the Studio’s shows and pilot projects. He/She will also oversee every aspect of their shows, including taking responsibility for the creative decisions made with producers and all internal departments (casting, marketing, scheduling, research etc.)
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Identify, collaborate and cultivate relationships with top writers, directors, producers, and the entertainment community at large (agents, managers, other studios executives) to communicate the creative needs of 20th Television and develop innovative concepts, scripts and pilots;
- Hear and respond to pitches; evaluate new project submissions (scripts, books, articles, etc.); read and analyze scripts, stories, outlines to assess their value as it relates to the creative direction of the Studio;
- Manage the entire development phases from original pitch through outline, throughout the various drafts of the scripts, providing notes in line with the creative vision of the project;
- Oversee pilot scripts and supervise the related pre-production, production and post-production stages to insure their creative integrity;
- Act as the primary brand manager for each show, including providing creative thoughts on pitches, outlines, scripts, table reads, dailies and rough cuts of episodes;
- Guide, coordinate and update various internal departments with information required to successfully launch and maintain long term series assets;
- Collaborate with Production, Business Affairs, Casting and other departments in order to supervise, from a creative standpoint, the pre, production and post-production activities of all shows. In particular, provide creative feedback on dailies, rough cuts, and all aspects of post-production as it pertains to the development process;
- Work closely with marketing to insure proper messaging as well as to create a comprehensive campaign that includes on-air, print and online;
- Responsible for lining up appropriate episodes to compete in a crowded television market to ensure highest possible ratings;
- Work closely with Research to analyze nuances of series and to effect change where needed to maximize viewer interest in the show;
- Manage development budget costs while maintaining high quality standards.
The successful candidate will possess 7 to 10 years of experience in content development with a significant tenure within either a TV broadcast, cable network, Studio, or established independent production company. Ultimately, this individual must have a keen understanding of story-telling as it applies to the creation of winning, successful scripted content. He/she must have a demonstrated ability to serve as a creative strategist in a highly entrepreneurial, fast growing and collaborative business environment, as well as a track record at selecting and developing material which is trendy, innovative and compelling. In particular, these candidates will possess the following attributes:
- Strong, established relationships with key players in the TV industry, including talent, agents, production companies, producers, writers, etc.;
- The ability to function in a complex, fast-paced and demanding environment; an entrepreneurial drive and passion for the business, the content and the audience;
- The ability to think outside the box and encourage this type of thinking among team members. An imaginative, innovative mind-set with strong combination of creative sensibility and keen business acumen;
- An excellent writer with strong communication skills and the ability to present his/her views in a clear and compelling manner;
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills, including the ability to work effectively within a collaborative team environment as well as diverse constituencies and both creative and business personality types;
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.